This year for my youngest sons first birthday, I wanted to make the cake and cupcakes myself, so I went out to buy all the cake making accessories and got to it! In this post, I am going to share the steps and tools I used to create a DIY naked birthday cake. So let’s get started!
Items you will need (most things are in the picture above as a reference):
- Cake mix
- Icing spatula
- Disposable piping bags
- Tip Coupler
- Decorating tip #10 round
- Cake pans
- Cake boards
- Decor for cake (optional)
Steps on how to make a naked birthday cake:
- Follow the instructions on the box/recipe to make the cake mix. I used my kitchen aid to mix the ingredients, but most recipes can be mixed by hand.
2. Place the cake mix into the pans and bake in the oven (be sure to follow the instructions on the box/recipe).
*Note: The number of layers you want on your cake, will determine how many cake pans you will need. I wanted three layers, and I only had two cake pans, so I baked the cake in two sessions.
3. Allow cake to cool down completely before moving on to the next step. While you are waiting, attach the decorating tip to the coupler and piping bag. Then fill the bag with the frosting.
4. Once the cake is cooled down, set each layer individually on top of a cake board.
5. Trim off the top rounded portion of each cake to create a flat surface. It is best to use a large serrated knife (aka bread knife) to get optimal results.
6. Use the spatula to frost the top of the cake and spread it out evenly.
7. Apply the second layer of the cake, and repeat. Do this until you have reached the final layer of the cake.
8. Using the filled piping bag, apply frosting around the cake in between each layer. Now I know what your thinking… this does not look pretty at all. But I promise you; it gets better!
9. Using the spatula, smooth out the frosting all around the cake. Remember, since you are making a “naked” cake, you do not want the entire cake to be covered in frosting. The purpose is to show off some of the cake.
10. Now its time to frost the top of the cake! Using the spatula, apply a generous amount of frosting to the top.
11. Next, you need to smooth out the top however you want it to look. For example, you can smooth it out to create a clean flat surfaced look. Or you can use a back and forth motion in separate columns to create the look shown below.
*Note: You will want to remove any excess frosting that may go over the top edges of the cake to achieve a finished look.
And voila! You have your finished cake, and it should look something like this:
Way to go! You did it! Now all that’s left is to decorate the cake if you want to. You can add greenery or flowers to the side to add a whimsical touch to it or you can just simply leave it as is. Since the theme of my son’s party was “Little Explorer,” I went to Hobby Lobby to pick up some woodland decor (if you want to see how the party decor turned out, be sure to check out my post “Little Explorer Birthday Party“). I found some trees, wood sticks, and outdoor animals to add to the top of the cake. Here is a picture of the final product, and I must say that I am proud of how it came out (primarily since it was my first time making a cake)!
The materials I used here can be found at Walmart & Michaels. I was able to locate most of the items online so I can link them below for reference. I hope you guys have found this post helpful and maybe it’s even inspired you to go and make a DIY birthday cake!
Have you ever made a DIY naked cake or any other type of cake? Do you have any favorite treats that you like to bake? I would love to hear from you in the comments below!
Until next time.
Frosting Spatula: http://www.michaels.com/wilton-9in-straight-spatula/10528566.html#q=icing+spatula&start=6
Disposable piping bags: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wilton-12-Inch-Disposable-Decorating-Bags-12-Count-Piping-Pastry-Bag/24107717
Tip Coupler: http://www.michaels.com/wilton-large-tip-coupler/10051279.html
Decorating tip #10 round: http://www.michaels.com/wilton-number-10-round-decorating-tip/10123587.html#q=wilton+decorating+tip+%2310&start=2
Round cake boards, 10 inch: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wilton-Cake-Boards-Set-of-12-Round-Cake-Boards-for-10-Inch-Cakes/24937798